Subject: Re: Decoding machine checks...
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/13/2003 02:17:31
On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 01:30:35AM -0400, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> I'll see if I can get the initial panic message next time it
> happens.

Well, that was easy. I have an mfs /tmp.

% dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/blarg

Warning: received processor correctable error.
Warning: received processor correctable error.
Warning: received processor correctable error.
Warning: received processor correctable error.

unexpected machine check:

    mces    = 0x1
    vector  = 0x670
    param   = 0xfffffc0000006068
    pc      = 0xfffffc000051ca74
    ra      = 0xfffffc0000300ac8
    code    = 0x98
    curproc = 0xfffffc00051245c8
        pid = 119, comm = mount_mfs

I'll try rearranging memory tomorrow. Oh, and the 'reboot' command
in ddb gave me another "correctable" error followed by a hang.

*sigh*

This is what happens when a household member decides to show who is in
charge by opening the back door to let the cats get fresh air. Having
outside air come in in the middle of the summer thereby bringing the
temperature in the computer room into the mid-90's (humid) just can't be
good for machines. I can imagine the temperature in the box being 10+
degrees higher than the room air temp, placing it dangerously close to
the outside of the operational bounds.

Said household member is now removed and isn't coming back. Now I
just have to clean up the damage.

I'm going to bed.

Thanks for the help. Let's all cross our fingers for bad memory
and not a bad board.

"What is mathematics? The age-old answer is, of course, that mathematics
 is what mathematicians do." - Donald Knuth