Subject: Re: Alpha stuff for free
To: Andrew Diller <dillera@dillernet.com>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/09/2003 10:19:40
> Wow-- how much did it cost to ship that?
>
> We got rid of a 4100 a few months ago, and we had to fight with
> someone to take it away. He is going to use it to heat his bathroom :)
>
> Those were beasts, and compared to more modern alphas, very slow,
> IMHO.

Shipping was $160. The one I got is a 533 MHz Alpha with 4 MB of Cache
along with 256 MB of RAM, a BA356 drive case, several SCSI cards, and
some other stuff.

Slow compared to what? Obviously the modern GS160 or GS140 type systems
are much faster but MUCH more expensive!! Other than the XP1000 series,
I have not found too much that is much faster CPU wise. I am interested
in finding out more though. Alphas are new to me and I am really having
fun with them.

Bryan