Subject: Re: Alpha stuff for free
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/08/2003 19:58:40
On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:29:31PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   If you're looking for a newer machine, I can't say enough nice things
> about the AS500.  They're fast, take modern peripherals (68 pin SCSI
> drives), and are relatively compact.

Isn't the AS 500 the one that takes special, nonstandard memory? Do
I remember that correctly?

>   For a small and super-cheap PCI machine, the AS200 isn't bad.  I've
> used a bunch of those.  Their power supplies can be unreliable, but
> other than that, they do ok.

Don't tell me that. My 200 has been holding up for seven years now, running
every day except when the power was out.  Knock on wood.

"Not even the dumbest terrorist would choose an encryption program that
 allowed the U.S. government to hold the key." -- (Fortune magazine
    is smarter than the US government, Oct 29 2001, page 196.)