Subject: Re: problem with .S files and gdb
To: Aaron J. Grier <>
From: None <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/07/2003 22:56:18
Thanks so much. I was on the verge of giving up. :)

I will try what you suggested. Since my original post I have found that I
can manually include symbol table information. I really hope I won't need
to, but I know that it's an option.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again Aaron.

			Michael Litchard

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 23:06:18 -0700
> From: Aaron J. Grier <>
> Subject: Re: problem with .S files and gdb
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:37:48AM +0000, wrote:
> > The immediate problem is that I can't figure out how to compile my .S
> > files such that gdb can use them..I have no problem with .s files.
> > However I have found I can't use #include directives with .s files , and
> > I want access to /use/include/machine/asm.h.
> right; .s says to gcc "no cpp" while .S is "use cpp".
> > What I really need is a tutorial on how to use gdb with assembler,
> > hoping this would cover .S files.
> use -g, possibly -gstabs or -ggdb.  there might be a disconnect between
> the debugging information which gas is writing and the debugging
> information gdb is expecting...
> --
>   Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
>   "Isn't an OS that openly and proudly admits to come directly from Holy
>    UNIX better than a cheap UNIX copycat that needs to be sued in court
>    to determine what the hell it really is?"  --  Michael Sokolov
SDF Public Access UNIX System -