Subject: Problems w/ XP1000 sysinst install
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrew Diller <dillera@dillernet.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/07/2003 17:11:38
Hello:

I'm trying to install 1.6.1 on a XP1000, and I'm having some issues with
the installer, sysinst.

I've created boot floppies and burned the iso image for 1.6.1 alpha.

The install goes fine, I install all sets, it completes and starts the
configuration.

I set a password for root and then the installer dies, it seems like it
tries to write something to /, which is its boot image from floppy and is
at 100%.

So I can reboot and I mucked with rc.conf to set the rc_configured to YES,
but now I have a completely empty rc.conf file.

I've seen some example ones on the net from 1.5, and am considering copying
them, but I wonder about differences in 1.5 - 1.6.

I've run shushi, which creates a 'default' rc.conf, but that is a mess, and
turns everything on and sets bad values.

Also, I can't find an xserver for this. I have the Elsa Gloria card (with
the permidia 2 chipset) which is recognized as a TGA, but again, can't see
where the xserver got installed.

I'm very familiar with Tru64 and Linux, but I'm a bit of a novice with
NetBSD, so any tips would be appreciated.

What I'm looking for is a doc or something that will help me finish the
configuration (if any) of the system that I would have done had sysinst not
died. Is it normal for 1.6.1 sysinst to crap out like that?

The XP1000 feels very fast with 1.6.1, I'd like to get this system up to a
more usable state and get some package on here.

thanks,

andy diller