Subject: Re: problem with .S files and gdb
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/06/2003 23:06:18
On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:37:48AM +0000, int80h@sdf.lonestar.org wrote:
> The immediate problem is that I can't figure out how to compile my .S
> files such that gdb can use them..I have no problem with .s files.
> However I have found I can't use #include directives with .s files , and
> I want access to /use/include/machine/asm.h.

right; .s says to gcc "no cpp" while .S is "use cpp".

> What I really need is a tutorial on how to use gdb with assembler,
> hoping this would cover .S files.

use -g, possibly -gstabs or -ggdb.  there might be a disconnect between
the debugging information which gas is writing and the debugging
information gdb is expecting...

  "Isn't an OS that openly and proudly admits to come directly from Holy
   UNIX better than a cheap UNIX copycat that needs to be sued in court
   to determine what the hell it really is?"  --  Michael Sokolov