Subject: Re: IDE controller card for PWS
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/15/2003 10:36:04
On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 04:36:26PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> Possibly. AFAIK the more modern IDE adapters have working DMA.
> I am still pure SCSI, I don't care much about IDE. _I_ would
> by a IDE-SCSI bridge. No trouble with broken IDE adapters and
> the disk will be usable on not IDE capable Systems.

Well, "no trouble" is not absolutely guaranteed with the SCSI-IDE
bridge, as the firmware in the Acard I have is broken such that it
won't work properly with Tru64 5.x - I forget the exact terminology,
but it returns a bogus unique ID for the device, and Tru64 uses these
IDs to map drives to device names; they didn't seem very interested in
fixing it without being paid. However, I'd guess it probably works fine
with NetBSD.

G.
Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota