Subject: Re: IDE controller card for PWS
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Joshua Sanders <josh@vtawifi.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/15/2003 00:38:48
At 07:59 AM 8/15/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:14:07PM -0700, Joshua Sanders wrote:
> > So.. I have 2 nice little hard working PWS.. a 600au and a 433a.   While
> > SCSI is nice and fast.. it isn't very cheap.. so has anybody found an IDE
> > controller that plays nicely with SRM, and that is bootable and that is
> > supported by netbsd?  I picked up an Abit IDE RAID controller, but it
> > doesn't show up in SRM.. any ideas?
>
>But why aren't you using the onboard IDE controller? Not the fastest
>in the world but..
>
>--
>|   / o / /_  _                 wilko@FreeBSD.org
>|/|/ / / /(  (_)  Bulte
I was hoping to get a bit more speed.. I have a couple of ATA 133 drives
laying around but, as I understand it the on board IDE is very very
slow.  It can theoretically do ATA33 (?) but in reality it is more like PIO
mode 4 (16MB/sec.)  I just started thinking down this path because of the
discussion about the Promise IDE controllers.  Somebody mentioned using a
HPT (HighPoint tech?) card, but I don't know if anybody mentioned if it was
possible to boot from such a card.  I have a QLA 1040 and even a QLA 1080
(nice and fast), and I have even run some fiber channel on it, but this
stuff is all kinda loud and lets face it.. kinda pricey.   (a 160GB drive
can be gotten for less than $100).  So here I am.. looking for a cheap
alternative.  Sound like people have gotten IDE controllers working, but
has anybody got it to boot from the controller.

Joshua