Subject: Re: logical volume
To: Carsten Friede <cfriede@wh12.tu-dresden.de>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/08/2003 11:04:24
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 06:26:57AM +0200, Carsten Friede wrote:

=> I'm running a DEC3000 with NetBSD 1.6. I've a Storage Expansion attached
=> to it. Within the expansion there 2 SCSI harddisks and I want to using
=> as one logical disk, just like LVM under Linux. Does anybody know, how
=> to achieve this? Thanks in advance.

You can use ccd(4) or raid(4) to aggregate these two disks as one
logical lump of storage.  (Personally, I suggest using RAID with
the drives set to autoconfigure.)

Having said that, the result is not quite the same as having a logical
volume manager, which is the thing I most miss from NetBSD having
previously enjoyed AdvFS on Digital Unix (and currently vinum+growfs
on FreeBSD).  For example, ccd(4) and raid(4) do not allow you to
"grow" existing volumes by later adding new disks, unlike a logical
volume manager.

Does anyone know if there is anyone working on a LVM for NetBSD??

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa