Subject: Re: PC164 jumpter settings: 533Mhz CPU
To: Bryan P <u11@terran.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/08/2003 15:02:33
On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:10:56PM -0700, Bryan P wrote:

> I just purchased a 533Mhz CPU (or so I was told...) that I'm trying to
> upgrade my 500Mhz system with.  Can anyone tell me the jumper esttings I
> need in order to make it work at this speed?  Just dropping the new proc in
> the old board still shows it running at 500Mhz.
AFAIK the PC164 doesn't support 533 MHz, only 500 MHz. I have a PC164
with 533 MHZ CPU too and got it only to 500MHz.
Note that the CPU clock depends on the oscillator, not the jumpers.
The oscillator * 10 is the CPU clock. The jumpers are only for dividing
the CPU clock down to the IO (PCI) clock. So running with 533 MHz in
500 MHz jumpering wil overclock your IO subsystem.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen