Subject: Re: Funky vi editing escapE in X on alphas... why? any fix?
To: None <Robertdkeys@aol.com, jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/28/2003 10:31:35
> From: Robertdkeys@aol.com
> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:05:26 EDT
> Subject: Re: Funky vi editing escapE in X on alphas... why? any fix?
> To: jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
> CC: port-alpha@NetBSD.org
>
> The sequences set using ctrl-[ work, but using f11 I get
> the sequence ctrl[[23"  from od-cb.  xev gives for f11
> a keycode 35 (keysym 0xffc8, F11).  xev for ctrl-[ gives
> a keycode 97 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L) followed by
> a keycode 172 (keysym 0x5b, bracketleft).
>
> If the ctrl-[ works and not the f11, in X, then something
> is not passing the codes correctly to vi, while in X?

If od-cb gives <ctrl>[ [ 2 3 ~  for <F11>
which it does on my Solaris system and also a Linux system,
and also on your NetBSD VAX, the problem is not limited to vi.

It seems to be part of X, whatever translates keycodes into
ASCII equivalents.  This is further inside X than I want to go
today.  :-)

But it looks like VT220 keycode translation is being done,
while you want VT100.

    carl