Subject: Re: PC164 vs PC164 LX - difference?
To: Bryan P <u10@terran.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/28/2003 18:52:19
On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 08:12:58AM -0700, Bryan P wrote:

> I currently have a PC164 machine running 1.6_STABLE and have the
> opportunity to replace the mainboard/CPU (due to possible hardware
> problems) with a PC164 LX.  Basically, I'd like to know which is "better",
> and what the differences are.  Other than memory (SIMMs on mine, DIMMs on
> the LX) and CPU (I have a 500, the LX has a 533), what differences should I
> expect?
The LX has a complete different chipset, the Pyxis. The Pyxis chipset
has some bugs in the PCI bridge that can make trouble with PCI DMA.
I don't know how how much they differ in terms of memory bandwith.
I suspect the PC164 is less critical in terms of PCI and the PC164LX
has better memory bandwith but it may be a problem to get arbitrary
PCI cards to run.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen