Subject: Re: SCSI & SRM
To: Jeffrey Bridge <jeffrey@firehead.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/27/2003 14:15:02
On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 01:04:55PM -0500, Jeffrey Bridge wrote:
> In general, the alpha SRMs have had good support for LSI chips and bad
> support for adaptec ones. Any reasonably standard LSI-based card should
> do just fine. I got a 64bit 33MHz Ultra160 single-channel one, 58C1010
> chip or something like that, for my 164LX board.

Do you recall how much you paid for that card/where I could find one? I am
currently broke, but the information would be useful once my financial
situation changes. From everything I've read, if it'll work on a 164LX, it's
likely to work on an AS600...

> >From a practical standpoint, I like the way SRM has not supported
> adaptec cards as much, because they almost as a rule cost significantly
> more than quite equivalent cards of the same spec from other
> manufacturers.

I'm not sure about that, because I see this adaptec card going for <= $10 on
ebay - while the only QLogic QLA1040s I could find at the time were $50.

Thanks,
-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII