Subject: Re: Funky vi editing escapE in X on alphas... why? any fix?
To: None <Robertdkeys@aol.com, david@crlf.net, mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/26/2003 21:14:07
> From: Robertdkeys@aol.com
> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:10:27 EDT
> Subject: Re: Funky vi editing  escapE in X on alphas... why?  any fix?
> To: david@crlf.net, mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA
> CC: port-alpha@NetBSD.org
>
> Setting escapetime>1, e.g., 5, had no effect on the case flipping.
>
> I also noticed that in command mode, just moving a cursor around
> and pressing escape at any cursor position flipped the case on the
> character wherever the cursor was placed.
>
> Baaaaad karma....(:+\\.....

Keyboard setup.  Your F11 key is not mapped to <esc> but to some
other combination which includes ~ and also <esc>/

> For now, the only fix seems to edit in vi outside X on this alpha.
>
> Also, the same thing happened using vim.
>
> It does not happen on any of my Sun boxes.  Whatever is
> doing it may be alpha specific or dec specific.
>
> Vague memory seems to suggest that I saw this happen one
> time before, but I am unable to recall on what, exactly.  Does this
> happen on a pmax box?

What happens in an xterm window from from a shell prompt if you run "od -cb"
(commas just to show separate characters, not to be typed)

[cdl@iota cdl]$ od -cb
^[xx^[xx
0000000 033   x   x 033   x   x  \n
	033 170 170 033 170 170 012
0000007
[cdl@iota cdl]$

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst@ucsd.edu

$