Subject: curiosity killed my alpha?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/13/2003 19:43:58
Ok, so I was bored, tinkering around in SRM. I had just halted NetBSD, which
is (was?) installed and working perfectly.

I typed help, got a list of commands. So, out of curiosity, I typed 'nt'.

It said something about ARC and the screen went black and it rebooted. Now
the screen never comes on, nor does it boot. I have no idea what 'nt' does,
but does anybody on this list have a clue as to how I can get it working
again? Its configuration is:

AlphaStation 600 5/266
266mhz 21164, 128MB RAM
Monitor hooked up to the video card that came with it, keyboard hooked up to
the keyboard port. On the scsi bus there is a plextor ultraplex wide scsi
cd-rom and a western digital sca hard drive connected to the fast-wide bus
via an sca->68pin adapter.

Any help is very much appreciated. I had this thing working before I went
and got curious. :\

-Sean

PS: HP no longer distributes the firmware for the 600, only the 500 then the
600a, so that isn't an option unless somebody has it lying around
somewhere... But I'm not sure how that'd be an option anyway, seeing as I
can never get anything to come up on the screen anymore.

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!