Subject: Re: Pointer to X sources for Alpha 3000 M700 with pmag-b card
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/13/2003 13:37:42
Robertdkeys@aol.com asked;

> I am curious why the pmag-b (cfb) cards can't run with X?
> X errors out with a frame buffer not supported message.
> It might be nice if that card could be made to work with X?
> Any insights are appreciated.

OSF/1,DU had no support for PMAG-B video option card, i.e,
DEC3000s are never expected to run it.  There were good technical
reasons DEC decided so (how Alpha instruction set is designed).

As you have already observed rendering performance of PMAG-B
card is just aweful, and it's a better idea to avoid it as long as you
have any of SFB.

Toru Nishimura/a person who are responsible for most TC drivers