Subject: Re: PII vs 21164
To: None <>
From: Jochen Kunz <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/16/2003 19:48:46
On 2003.05.16 01:00 Ray Phillips wrote:

> Could someone help me to reconcile the fact that running
> # cd /usr/src
> # ./ -D ../DistribDir -R ../ReleaseDir release
> takes around eleven hours on a 500 MHz PWS with 1 GB RAM but around=20
> seven hours on a PII with 640 MB RAM?
How many MHz has the PII?

You build alpha =3D> alpha and i386 =3D> i386?
This means you are comparing oranges and Macs^Wapples.
You did a build to different targets. Compile time depends on the
_target_, especially if there is -O2 used, like NetBSD does. -O2 eats a
_lot_ of CPU power and depends _highly_ on the

I did some builds of NetBSD 1.6R on a Sun UltraSPARC 5 with a 300 MHz US
IIi CPU (512 kB cache, 256 MB RAM, Symbios 53C875 SCSI, 1GB Seagate
Hawk, 2 GB IBM DCAS). Build time for alpha was around 11:20 hours and 7
hours for VAX on the same source tree. I have a build of sparc running,
I will se tomorrow...=20

(Ohh, this means that a 300 MHz US IIi CPU is as fast as a 500 MHz
21164A. ;-) )