Subject: newfs (and disklabel) question
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Arlie G. Capps <acapps@cs.byu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/10/2003 12:10:01
Sorry for the repost, but I got a little more information just now.  I
booted using the 1.6.1 installer CD, and used disklabel to get these
values for sd0:

bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
track/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065 (1)
total cylinders: 521
total sectors: 8380080 (2)

(1) is indeed the product of the previous two numbers, but (1) * total
cylinders gives 8369865, not (2).  What is going on?  Can I just set
all these values arbitrarily?  Is there a recommended (or automatic) way
to find the optimum setting?

When I try to do the newfs step in the NetBSD installation program, it
gives the (paraphrased) error "With 16065 sectors/cylinder, the minimum
cylinders/group is 64.  This requires the block size to change from 8K to
32K, and the fragment size to change from 1K to 4K."

Thanks very much for any answers or pointers to documentation.

Arlie Capps