Subject: ISP1040B
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.uq.edu.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/22/2003 19:49:43
Dear port-alpha:

Recently I bought a QLogic ISP1040B SCSI controller, expecting it to
work in the 64-bit PCI slots in my PWS 500.  Unfortunately, on
booting SRM says:

Digital Personal WorkStation 500au5.e4.
Console V7.2-1 Mar  6 2000 14:47:02
Illegal device detected on primary bus in physical slot 5

Power down the system and remove the unsupported device from slot 5

which is rather galling.  When I moved it to a 32-bit slot it was
identified by NetBSD 1.6Q as:

isp0 at pci1 dev 10 function 0: QLogic 1020 Ultra Wide SCSI HBA
isp0: interrupting at dec 550 irq 20
scsibus0 at isp0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target

even though it's definitely a 1040B.  (What does HBA stand for, by the way?)

When I put it into a PC a message on the console said:

QLA104x PCI SCSI ROM
ISP Firmware Version 4.50

Is there any way to get it to work in the PWS's 64-bit slots?

Ray