Subject: Re: AlphaServer 800 5/333
To: None <et@houseofet.com>
From: Rumi Szabolcs <rumi_ml@rtfm.hu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/11/2003 02:10:56
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:37:53 +1200 (NZST)
"Ernst du Toit" <et@houseofet.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I've managed to rescue an AlphaServer 800 5/333 heading for the dumpster.
> It was running some version of OSF on a graphics console. It also has a
> DEC SWXCR RAID adapter.
>
> Can anyone give some background on this machine? There seems to be little
> mention of this model on the NetBSD site, I assume it's based on one of
> the other models covered.
>
> I see the RAID adapter is supported by the mlx driver, how do I go about
> creating an array from scratch? I did not get any media with the box.
>
> How do I go about getting going over a serial console? I assume the
> firmware is expecting a graphic config right now.

I do not own an AS800 myself (it's a pity though) but I guess like other
Alphas it will go automagically to serial if it detects that there is no
keyboard plugged in (9600 8N1). A quite nice box indeed, you should feel
yourself lucky to get one for a bargain (or free?). I can't help you with
the SWXCR because of ENOCLUE but I believe DEC/Compaq/HP should provide
at least some essential support for it, just search/look around on their
website. If there is a working Digital UNIX / Tru64 installation on it,
you should consider to keep it as this machine is powerful enough to run
even the latest Tru64 versions efficiently (given enough RAM is in there
but I suspect if there is an SWXCR there should be plenty of RAM, too).

Regards,
Szabolcs Rumi