Subject: Re: AlphaServer 800 5/333
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/10/2003 20:07:15
On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 07:37 PM, Ernst du Toit wrote:
> I've managed to rescue an AlphaServer 800 5/333 heading for the
> dumpster.
> It was running some version of OSF on a graphics console. It also has a
> DEC SWXCR RAID adapter.

   From...a...DUMPSTER?!  Check some eBay prices on those
machines...you'll be amazed.

   Christ there are some STUPID people in this world.  But people with
functioning brains can often benefit from this. :-)

> Can anyone give some background on this machine? There seems to be
> little
> mention of this model on the NetBSD site, I assume it's based on one of
> the other models covered.

   If memory serves, it's architecturally similar to an AlphaServer
1000A.  I have one here (also a 5/333, but I have a 5/500 CPU board on
the way) that's a real workhorse...it's a mail server handling about
six high-volume lists, as well as incoming mail for about 80 people.
It's running NetBSD.

> I see the RAID adapter is supported by the mlx driver, how do I go
> about
> creating an array from scratch? I did not get any media with the box.

   You need the configuration manager...it runs under ARC.  I believe I
have a copy of it here; I will dig for it.

> How do I go about getting going over a serial console? I assume the
> firmware is expecting a graphic config right now.

   Hmm, now this part I can't help you with...mine just came right up on
a serial console.  It might be a matter of whether or not it sees a
keyboard attached.  I will see if I can find the docs; I know I have
them here somewhere.

   Good luck with your new machine...it's a *sweet* box!

          -Dave