Subject: Re: sourece for DS10 PS replacement?
To: bob smith <sfmc68@bellatlantic.net>
From: Mark Ter Morshuizen <mark@itbox.co.za>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/10/2003 09:07:24
Hi Bob,

On Thursday 10 April 2003 02:19 am, you wrote:
> The IBM drives are larger storage, same physical, but higher current
> draw.  This is why I suspect power supply.

In my experiance DEC over-engineered it's power supplies tremendously.
First they spec'ed the machines to use overrated power supplies, then the=
y=20
over built the oversize power supplies. I would consider it unlikely that=
=20
your PS is the problem.

My EB64-275 is supposed to have a 600W PS with a special 3.3V output acco=
rding=20
to its manual. It runs fine with 3 HDD (RZ 1GB) on a standard ATX 250 W P=
S=20
with a little adapter I made to get the right wires to the right places. =
The=20
nice thing about this is that when the PS breaks I can go to any peecee s=
tore=20
and buy a new one. Hell these days I can even buy a 400 W one off the=20
shelf...

My 3000-M600-S has a whole horde of drives and has never flinched...

Have you tried the PS from the known good machine in the suspect one?
Also try installing both drives and booting off the RZ.

Cheers,
--=20
Mark Ter Morshuizen
mark@itbox.co.za