Subject: HP C1599A on 3000/400
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.uq.edu.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/02/2003 16:30:31
Dear port-alpha:

Has anyone used an HP C1599A DDS-2 DAT drive on a 3000/400?  I've
tried the drive on two of these machines and it causes the SCSI test
at boot to fail as shown in the listing at the end of this message.
(For some reason SRM says it's a C1533A.)  It seems to work fine
after booting manually despite this, but it's annoying that the Alpha
can't boot unattended in the event of a power failure.

The drive has the latest firmware installed and I've set the DIP
switches on the bottom to those recommended for DEC machines.

The DAT drive didn't produce any errors on an AS 200 4/166.

Ray

     DEC 3000 - M400
Digital Equipment Corporation
System conducting power up tests

Devnam           Devstat
--------         -------
      CPU          OK KN15-BA -V7.0-S887-I21F-sV2.1-DECchip 21064  P3.0
      OSC          133 MHz
     ASIC          OK
      MEM          OK 128MB
      NVR          OK
      SCC          OK ptr(0) = Present  keybd(2) = Present
       NI          OK Ethernet Address: 08-00-2B-37-58-8F , TENBT
     SCSI          ?? 002 0058
     ISDN          OK
      TC1          OK - PMAG-DA
System power up tests detected error(s).
See your system documentation for more information.

>>>  show dev

   BOOTDEV      ADDR      DEVTYPE    NUMBYTES     RM/FX    WP    DEVNAM      REV
   -------      ----      -------    --------     -----    --    ------      ---
   ESA0         08-00-2B-37-58-8F , TENBT
   DKA200       A/2/0     DISK         4.29GB      FX
RZ1CF-AF    1614
   DKA400       A/4/0     RODISK      ......       RM      WP    RRD42
4.5d
  ..HostID..    A/7       INITR
   MKB0         B/0/0     TAPE                     RM
C1533A      A907
  ..HostID..    B/7       INITR

>>>  test scsi
T-STS-SCSI A - OK
T-STS-SCSI B - Data Trans test
? T-ERR-SCSI B - Data Trans test - nondma/sync inq size miscompare
T-ERR-SCSI B - id = 0 lun = 0
?? 002      SCSI 0x0058

   84 FAIL