Subject: PWS PCI Slots
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.uq.edu.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/26/2003 17:44:39
Dear port-alpha:

Could someone explain about the two long (64-bit?) PCI slots in the
PWS, please?  I mean what's special about them, and which type of
cards should be plugged into them?  The only card I have which will
work in them is the Q-Logic 1020 SCSI controller which came in my
machine.  dmesg says:

isp0 at pci0 dev 12 function 0: QLogic 1020 Ultra Wide SCSI HBA
isp0: interrupting at dec 550 irq 8

When I plug another card, such as a Symbios SCSI controller into
either of them the machine complains at power-on, e.g.:

   Digital Personal WorkStation 500au5.e4.
   Console V7.2-1 Mar  6 2000 14:47:02
   Illegal device detected on primary bus in physical slot 4

   Power down the system and remove the unsupported device from slot 4

When I put the Q-Logic card in one of the short PCI slots the machine boots OK
.
.
isp0 at pci1 dev 10 function 0: QLogic 1020 Ultra Wide SCSI HBA
isp0: interrupting at dec 550 irq 20
scsibus0 at isp0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target

until it reaches this point:
.
.
Adding interface aliases:
Building databases...
Starting syslogd.
isp0: DMA error for command on 0.0.0
isp0: BOTCHED cmd for 0.0.0 cmd 0x2a datalen 1024
sd0(isp0:0:0:0): generic HBA error
Checking for core dump...
isp0: DMA error for command on 0.0.0
isp0: BOTCHED cmd for 0.0.0 cmd 0x2a datalen 8192
sd0(isp0:0:0:0): generic HBA error
isp0: DMA error for command on 0.0.0
isp0: BOTCHED cmd for 0.0.0 cmd 0x2a datalen 8192
sd0(isp0:0:0:0): generic HBA error
isp0: DMA error for command on 0.0.0
isp0: BOTCHED cmd for 0.0.0 cmd 0x2a datalen 1024
sd0(isp0:0:0:0): generic HBA error
isp0: Unhandled Response Type 0x0
isp0: Not RESPONSE in RESPONSE Queue (type 0x3) @ idx 36 (next 37) nlooked 2
isp0: Unhandled Response Type 0x0
isp0: Not RESPONSE in RESPONSE Queue (type 0x0) @ idx 37 (next 38) nlooked 3
isp0: Unhandled Response Type 0x0

and so on, and a power-cycle is required to stop these errors, after
which the file system is seriously damaged--fsck has to be run
manually and it recommends some files and directories be removed.

However, I'm pretty sure that when I tried to install Windows NT some
months ago ARC insisted the Q-Logic card should be in a short slot,
so I'm confused.

Ray