Subject: Re: Deleting files
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/18/2003 08:09:24
On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 07:47  AM, Pavel Cahyna wrote:

>> stable these days, although there are clearly problems with
>> trickle-sync that can lead to choppy performance in the face of a lot
>> of file system writes.
>
> Please, what's trickle-sync?

Trickle-sync is a method of "gradually" flushing data from the page
cache to disk.  The idea is that instead of a big burst every minute or
so, you get a constant "trickle" of data out to disk.

Unfortunately, the current code seems to no trickle very well; I often
see a big burst (accompanied by a pause in application performance)
when e.g. a vnode needs to be reclaimed (which requires that its
buffers be flushed out to disk).  This big burst means that the vnode
has a lot of dirty pages associated with it, implying that the data
hasn't been trickle-sync'd out effectively.