Subject: Re: Best NetBSD version to run
To: mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com>
From: bob smith <sfmc68@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/16/2003 13:57:39
mel kravitz wrote:

>Hi,
>My recommendation would be to stay with the -current branch.
>Take advantage of coming events such as DRI,and /etc/libexec/ld.elf.so-
>speed improvements-Xaa in XFree86.(backfitted into the 1.6branch?)
>XFree86-4.2.1 or 4.3.0 will build with latest -current(1.6P) or with
>1.6L, -current just before native threads intro ~1/20/03, this is
>required if you wish to run a fully configured userland,
>ie..gnome(wm),mozilla,evolution,gtkam,ogle etc.With 1.6P there is as you
>know limited  or no ability to build mozilla etc..
>If you start with a 'fresh' disk load Manuel's snapshot 112102 and
>cvs checkout -D 20030120-UTC src, to build 1.6L.Add XFree86-4.2.1 or
>4.3.0 , get latest pkgsrc and your off. Once threads stabilizes you can
>update to -current.
>-Mel

Mel,
I thiknk I am just a little behind in my questions.
I have tga X running fine on two boxes, now I want to add KDE for my
build box.  Gonna use it for building  toys...
Tried to make KDE3 with 1.6 from  8 sept 2002, the basic release of
1.6.  I am seting up cvs now, so I will be able to build updated
kerenels etc.
I have found some kernel snapshots on netbsd.org...are these the Manuel
snapshots you mention?  Dumb question, can I just pop in the new kernel
from
these snampshots or do I have to redo userland too?
thanks
bob