Subject: Re: pppoe on port-alpha
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/13/2003 20:33:20
>1. build the ancient mouse-pppoe package.  Ignore the decoy ``roaring
>    penguin'' pppoe package which will install a pile of penguin shit
>    that doesn't work and a pile of enthusiastic, chatty, arrogant
>    documentation (cough).

Huh, I installed rp-pppoe a couple years back and it worked just fine
and took me under a minute to set up from start to finish. The
pppoe.conf file is quite self-explanatory, and the adsl-start/stop
(1) makes sense, (2) is just like the ppp-up/down that I was used to
for many years (Bill S/Paul G ppp setup scripts), and (3) is a whole
lot nicer than the procedure you describe below. The biggest stump to
me at that time was realizing that I needed to use chap-secrets
instead of pap-secrets for that particular ISP.

Just my thoughts,
Mike

--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.