Subject: Re: Using ccc (instead of gcc)
To: Arlie G. Capps <acapps@cs.byu.edu>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/2003 15:55:57
> I noticed that (then) Compaq had made the ccc compiler available for
> Linux/Alpha.  Has anyone experimented with using ccc instead of gcc on
> netbsd?  It seems to (inexperienced) me that ccc, which is after all _for_
> the alpha, might do better than the very general, portable gcc.  I just
> wanted to get anyone's comments or experiences before trying this for
> myself.

I am quite disappointed with gcc's results on alphas [*], so I would like to
try something like this, but I suspect it will produce only linux
binaries. Is there any way to force such compiler to produce NetBSD
binaries? Both use ELF, so the ABI will be probably the same? Syscalls
are different, but they are generally made by librairies, not by the app
itself, so this shouldn't be a major problem. Maybe it could be possible
to compile the app against NetBSD's headers, link it with NetBSD's
librairies and then just change the ABI tag to mark them as NetBSD?

I'm just speculating here, somebody familiar with linking and ABI could
tell if it is possible or not.

But as NetBSD can run Linux/Alpha binaries, all this is not strictly
necessary, at least for first tests. Could you please try to compile openssl
with it and send the result of "openssl speed"?

Bye	Pavel

[*] a 21064 at 175 MHz is two times slower than Pentium 66. A 21164A at
600 MHz is more than two times slower than MIPS R10000 at 175 MHz (with
SGI's MIPSpro compiler). "openssl speed" command was used as a
benchmark.