Subject: 164LX Alphabios to SRM update questions, need some more help.
To: alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: bob smith <sfmc68@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/02/2003 16:17:13
Maybe someone can help me.
I have snagged the latest firmware from the dec site, snagged the
release notes, created the floppy with the file fwupdate.exe on a pc
using a FAT formatted floppy.  The version of firmwre seems to be
referred to as 5.8 for the LX and SX, 5.6 for the 164, fyi.

I have booted my LX, gotten the Alphabios screen, selected update,
gotten it to seitch to the serial port, after it seems to boot from
floppy (green led on, movement of floppy heads) and all seems well.

I get the update prompt, UPC> and I tell it to update firmware.

Now, here is where I get confused ;
the releasenotes, page 11, talks about a floppy with file
LX164SRM.ROM (downloaded from the ftp site) but the directions
from the site don't seem to say anything bout this, all they
talk about is createing the fwupdate.exe.

I have the flash jumper on the right spot, trying to dump this
alpha bios and get to srm.

Help
thanks
bob