Subject: Re: tlp: receive error: {MII,CRC} error
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/25/2003 11:49:20
At 6:05 PM +0200 2/25/03, Arto Huusko wrote:
>On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 07:48, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>>  >I'm running all the NICs in 100baseTX-FDX mode. The alpha is an
>>  >AlphaStation 500/266 and it runs a 1.6K kernel from mid-December.
>>  >The machines are connected to each other via a D-Link DES1008D
>>  >switch. There are no other machines currently connected to the
>>  >network.
>>
>>  My guess is that there is a duplex mismatch between your Alpha and
>>  your switch. You should never lock down the switch or the NIC to a
>
>OK, I guess this is correct. Setting the NIC to 100base-TX mode made
>it go fast, and with no error messages. Both receiving and sending
>data is OK.

But the question is...was that connection at full or half-duplex?
Setting it to 100baseTX doesn't specify a duplex setting, but rather
is letting it negotiate with the switch. It would be interesting to
see what it negotiated as.

>What does this "duplex mismatch" exactly mean? Does it mean that there's
>something "wrong" between the switch and the NIC, that they can't do
>full duplex?

Not necessarily "wrong"...they just aren't both agreeing on the same
setting. If one thinks it negotiated full and the other is at half,
then that is a duplex mismatch condition. So when the FDX side is
sending, the simplex side won't be listening, giving you the bad
response. You can try switching cables and/or switching ports in the
switch to see if that helps. For most installations, though, I would
recommend just letting it stick with 1/2 duplex. I would be highly
surprised if you could tell the difference in normal use.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.