Subject: Re: tlp: receive error: {MII,CRC} error
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Jochen Kmietsch <jochen.kmietsch@tu-clausthal.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/25/2003 17:17:06
Hello!

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Arto Huusko wrote:

> > >The machines are connected to each other via a D-Link DES1008D
> > >switch. There are no other machines currently connected to the

Hm, I have had Problems with a DES-3224+ and a Sun HappyMeal, also certain
versions of Intel EtherExpress, with similar symptoms, low throughput,
problems with netbooting and the like.

> What does this "duplex mismatch" exactly mean? Does it mean that there's
> something "wrong" between the switch and the NIC, that they can't do
> full duplex?

Nway autonegotiation is black magic and does not always work, there seem
to be some card/switch/firmware combinations that just fail.
The HappyMeal would negotiate to 100Mbit/FD but the throughput was far
less than a 10Mbit/HD connection.  And some OEM EtherExpress cards would
not fetch their bootcode from the TFTP-server when connected to the
switch.

Jochen
--
A distributed system is one in which the failure of a computer you didn't
even know existed can render your own computer unusable.