Subject: Re: fxp0: Device timeouts on AlphaServers
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen M. Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/17/2003 13:22:59
CS20 port assertion issue ..

This morning we experienced the same problem I reported several months
ago where running a 1.6 SMP kernel caused the machine to lock up every
4 hours or so with no panic or error message.  When the machine would
lock up, the ethernet port on the switch would be asserted and it would
effectively lock out every machine connected to the switch.

Running just a single proc kernel resolved this and I have not seen it
until this morning, under a 1.6.1rc1 kernel .. the same machine that
has had a number of fxp timeouts over the past two days basically showed
the same symptoms of what I saw months ago.  I've reverted it back to
1.6 which will probably help (it ran it for months without this port
assertion issue) and the fxp device does not timeout.