Subject: Changing serial numbers on RAID sets?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/27/2003 13:20:17
Last December, I switched hardware from a failing DEC 3000/500S to an
AlphaServer 1000A.  At the time, I didn't have time to migrate over
the external cluster of disks that comprised the storage for a
partition used by an FTP server.  (I temporarily shut down the FTP
server instead.)

That cluster of disks form a RAID 0 set that is flagged with
auto-configure set to "yes."  Unfortunately, I believe that RAID set's
serial number is the same as one of the RAID sets used on the "new"
hardware, meaning there will be a clash if I just attach it as-is, and
auto-configuration will fail.

So, does anyone know if you can use "raidctl -I" to change the serial
number of an existing RAID set without destroying the current
contents??  I'd like, if possible, just to "rename" one of the
conflicting RAID set's serial number so I can attach the external
cluster of disks to the new system and enable the FTP server again.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa