Subject: AS 255 burnt keyboard port
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/24/2003 19:18:58
Hi,
I rescued an alphastation 255 from trash. I connected a VGA monitor and
a PC keyboard and started playing with it (I added a IDE disk with an
add-on pciide adapter, a 3c905c ethernet, and swapped the DEC video for
a matrox PCI, with the intention to use it as a X workstation).
I installed NetBSD and while copying data to the IDE disk, it
got a machine check (don't know why yet).
While in ddb the keyboard stopped working after the first ddb command.
So I cycled power. The box came up with the message on screen
"keyboard error, using serial port as console input".
cycled power again, waiting longer before power up, same message.
Then (the cover was open) I noticed smoke from the motherboard.
A small CMS component (fuse ?) next to the keyboard/mouse port,
between the keyboard/mouse and scsi/parallel connectors, was in fire.

Does anyone have an idea what could have appended ?
Does anyone know what this burnt CMS component could be ?
Do I have a chance to have a working keyboard again if I remplace it ?