Subject: Re: options BUFCACHE=20 causes boot freeze
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/19/2003 10:19:10
On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 01:16:39AM -0500, Tom Vier wrote:
=> if i add options BUFCACHE=20 to a working config, the kernel will not boot.
=> it works fine on sgimips. there doesn't seem to be a pr for this issue (at
=> least, i couldn't find one). has anyone used BUFCACHE w/o any problem?

I had BUFCACHE=25 on my 256 MB DEC 3000/300 for a long time, and
it booted without any problems.  However, I removed it a while ago,
coincident with an overhaul of the VM system that had better
auto-tuning of usage, plus some new sysctls to set percentage
uses.

Unless I'm much mistaken, vm.filemin and vm.filemax serve the
same function as BUFCACHE now.  (See also vm.{anon,exec}{min,max}.)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa