Subject: PWS 433a and 3000/600S
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Live Wire <livewire@netadel.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/14/2003 07:47:26
Hi,

I recently came into a PWS 433a and a 3000/600S.  While I'm pretty sure the
latter will run NetBSD (I have not tried.. I will when I get to work today),
I'm not so sure about the 433a.  When I get everything installed, and I get
back to the firmware chevron prompts on reboot, show dev does NOT shot the
hard disk. It shows the IDE CD-ROM just fine, and the booting procedure
shows the Symbios SCSI card (both channels), just no way to directly boot
from hard disk.

1) I followed the directions per the CD-ROM install.
2) The install went flawlessly. (booting from floppy set,  following the
nbsd installtion procedure, running the netconfig from the util menu, etc)
3) Reboots and goes through the scsi bios check, then drops to the chevron
prompt (now calling the system a 433au rather than a 433a).
4) show dev does not seem to show the hard disk at all.

I'm using a 4.3GB IBM UW SCSI-2 disk on the symbios controller.

My questions are:: How do I actually boot the system, and is the IDE
bootable? Can I connect a 20GB IDE disk to this machine and boot from it?

Sorry for the question pummeling, I'm new to the world of Alphas (I've run
NetBSD on Intel, sparc, sparc64..) thanks!

PLEASE NOTE: This e-mail server
will be in the process of transitioning
from one IP address to another on
01/25/2003.  If you experience un-
deliverable email, bounced email, or
other stangenesses, it is probably due
to the move.  Please try back in a couple
of days if your mail to me gets messed up.