Subject: Question: serial console with DEC 164LX board
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Sung-Won Chung <swchung7@hotmail.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/25/2002 17:59:37
Merry Christmas,

I am using serial console with the following self-made cable.

  GND - GND
  TX  - RX
  RTS - CTS
  CTS - RTS
  DTR - DSR
  DSR - DTR
  DCD - DCD

For safety, I made 7-wire cable instead of 3-wire. But DCD-DCD is my
mistake.

There was no problem using serial console in SRM prom mode without keyboard.

However, after bootstrap it doesn't work, though
the system seems to recognize it as follows

  NetBSD 1.6K (KERNEL) #4: Wed Dec 25 05:51:53 UTC 2002
      cimon@noms:/usr/src/syssrc/sys/arch/alpha/compile/KERNEL
  com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
  com0: console

I set /dev/ttys as

  console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100 on secure local

though com driver automatically forces CLOCAL for the console.
Getty is running well, but the serial console does not responds.

Terminal client on the other side of this alpha is also netbsd/sparc machine
with the /etc/remote as

  alpha:dv=/dev/ttya:br#9600:pa=none:dc:

What can I do to solve this problem ?

Thank you