Subject: Re: CPU fans on AS1200
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/13/2002 20:42:53
On 2002.12.10 03:49 Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> I'm needing to replace a CPU fan on my AS1200 (bearings crunchy, and
> the firmware has shut the system down once already due to "fan
> failure").
I had this on my PWS 500au too.=20

> My question -- does anyone know if there is an off-the-shelf fan I can
> use? =20
I grabed the first generic PeeCee fan out of my spare parts box, mounted
it in my Alpha and the machine is running 24/7 again for some months.=20
The only question is: Does the DEC fan have two or three wires? Some
fans have a third wire for a "RPM signal" of some sort. Maybe the fan
produces a sgnal that the Alpha can't "understand" (wrong signal levels,
frequency, what ever).=20
If in doubt, get out your old 'scope and take a look at the signals. ;-)

> Keep in mind it has to support i2c environmental monitoring.
This is nothing that the fan does. The fan is connected to some sensor
chip with i2c interface. Usually.=20
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
         Jochen