Subject: Re: AlphaStation 1000A
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/13/2002 11:51:39
> From: Robertdkeys@aol.com
> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:28:26 EST
> Subject: Re: AlphaStation 1000A
> To: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu, port-alpha@netbsd.org
>
> If your machine is getting flaky, and it has a
> processor on a separate board (like my 3000/300
> machines), sometimes it helps to seat and reseat
> the processor boards a few times.  That cures
> essentially all my 3000/300 flakiness problems.
> It seems to need to be done about once every
> couple months.  I dunno if that will help in
> your 1000, but on my 3000/300's it is the only
> cure that works.  Is there something endemic to
> the Alpha processor boards or connectors that
> is responsible for such behavior?  Anyone know?

Are these card-edge connectors or something better?  If card-edge,
do _not_ succumb to the temptation to clean them with an eraser.
That used to work in the days when gold was cheaper, and boards had
really thick plated fingers.

Wipe with a good grade of Isopropyl alcohol, using something slightly
rough, like a sterile gauze pad.  Then apply a thin layer of Vaseline
to the contacts, wipe most of it off with another pad.  Insert board,
enjoy.  The vaseline tends to seal the contacting surfaces against
gaseous penetration.

Recipe from Atlant Schmidt, long-time DEC field-service guru.

    carl