Subject: Re: AlphaStation 1000A
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/13/2002 13:46:24
On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 08:27:47PM +0200, Jarkko Teppo wrote:

=> Paul Mather said:
[...]
=> > Finally, is this graphics adapter supported under X?
=> >
=> >   cirrus0: Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 (SVGA)
=> >    _512 Kbytes
=> >   cirrus0 at eisa0
=>
=> Hmm... d o n ' t   e v e n  t r y  i t. Sorry. The built-in cirrus
=> is unbelievably slow. I mean, reaaally slow. My suggestion is to go with
=> serial console or sacrifice one of the PCI-slots for a decent adapter
=> (which might be tricky...).

I don't want to use it as a desktop machine (it acts as a WWW and FTP
server), so it isn't very important, but it would be nice to have X
available.  I do have a serial console.  I plan on installing the
20021121-1.6_STABLE snapshot and upgrading to -current (the existing
machine runs -current).  Hopefully that snapshot is installable via
the system console, though.

=> >      ATM Subsystem configured with 1
=> >       _restart threads
=> >      ATMUNI: configured
=> >      ATMSIG: 3.x (module=uni3x) configured
=> >      ILMI: 3.x (module=ilmi) configured
=> >      ATM IP: configured
=> >      ATM LANE: configured.
=> >      ATM IFMP: configured
=>
=> I've never tried Tru64, but is that just the subsystem or some sort
=> of card ?

I don't know.  Right now, the machine is locked away in someone's
office, so I can't poke about to see what it actually has installed,
hardware-wise.

Thanks for all the info.  It is very helpful.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa