Subject: Re: XFree 4.2.1 feedback / mouse issues
To: None <joel@mobigroup.com>
From: mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/11/2002 20:00:25
Hi Joel,

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 17:44, Joel wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been using the 4.2.1 with your patches now for a few days and have
> good and bad things to report.  The good news is that the server is rock
> solid--I haven't been able to lock it up at all.  I was getting some
> lockups before.
Good. The server is running on 3 machines for me at the moment, all up
since 11/28/02, all rock solid, a 500au, 600au and as800 machines.

> The bad news is that the mouse issue seems to have gotten worse for me.
> I'm seeing mouse errors like the ones you mention on the tech-x11 list.
> My mouse often gets into a state where the release of a button click is
> lost/ignored.  Ie, if I am dragging a scrollbar and release the button it
> continues to scroll with mouse movement.  Another click returns the mouse
> to normal.
Yes i have observed exactly what you are experiencing, the warnings are
harmless, i was concerned and e-mailed tech-x11 list as well as
xpert@xfree86.org, several users have also assured me they have seen
this on various machines.
(http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2002/12/10/0001.html)
The delayed 'wsmouse'response manifests itself in 'holding on' to the
xterm window bar occasionally -generating an error- (WW). I think this
is a wscons issue, see  http://xfree86.org/4.2.1/RELNOTES.html, you can
add under 'input drivers-> mouse' perhaps an Option to improve this. Or
it simply may be a bug in wscons code.If this was NetBSD served code
(xsrc as patch-4.2.1)
i would tell you to file a PR.

> My video card is:
> vga0 at pci1 dev 9 function 0: Matrox MGA Mystique 1064SG (rev. 0x03)
>
> My mouse is a generic Logitech 3-button.  My mouse config matches the
> one you displayed in tech-x11.

Time for a decent video card, try a $45US, ati radeon 7000 V/E 32MB VRAM
-accelerated xaa server, very cool to run a 'radeon' card on an
alpha,not possible in FreeBSD, RedHat(7.2), Debian, or any other alpha
OS right now.If you need a XF86Config let me know, i am having a great
time testing vga video cards from exotic Elsa Gloria XL to the Matrox
G450 card. Xinerama may work better for you now, in my travels through
stable window managers i keep coming back to 'windowmaker'.
> All of my 'bad wsmouse event' errors have a type of 1039*.
>
> (WW) Mouse1: bad wsmouse event type=1039482985
> (WW) Mouse1: bad wsmouse event type=1039488518
> (WW) Mouse1: bad wsmouse event type=1039514811
> (WW) Mouse1: bad wsmouse event type=1039520865
> (WW) Mouse1: bad wsmouse event type=1039520941
> (WW) Mouse1: bad wsmouse event type=1039521036
> (WW) Mouse1: bad wsmouse event type=1039521148
> (WW) Mouse1: bad wsmouse event type=1039561105
> (WW) Mouse1: bad wsmouse event type=1039573024
> (WW) Mouse1: bad wsmouse event type=1039645862
>
> etc.
>
> I just wanted to let you know what I was seeing.  If you would like me
> to test anything, just let me know.
>
> 		  --Joel
Joel, thanks for the input, i appreciate it. Perhaps a reader more familar
with wscons will respond?  keep in mind what you are running has only
existed since 11/28. keep testing to see if any other weakness pop up.
Best -Mel