Subject: AlphaServer1200 scsi settle wait stalling
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Oliver Pitterling <op@terraflux.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/06/2002 22:02:02
Hi there,

I am trying  to use an old DEC Alpha Server 1200 for NetBSD. Actually,
the machine was sold as Digital Server 5305 for Windows NT. So, I got
rid of the Alphabios, went back to the roots by enabling the SRM
console. Then, I got the ISO for NetBSD 1.6 and booted on the CD.

All goes well on the console, until:

.
.
.
cd0: sync (100.0ns offset 8), 8-bit (10.000MB/s) transfers
scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle ...
scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle ...
probe (siop2:0:0:0): command timeout

THATS IT. The machine appears frozen.
I also tried booting without the SCSI Hotplug drives inserted. Same
result. However, my CDROM (through which I boot the image) appears
SCSI.

Any ideas on how to complete the boot process without getting stuck at
the timeout?

Thanks,
Oliver