Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 on DEC 3000/300
To: , <>
From: Collin Baillie <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/13/2002 07:33:26
Lieven Dekeyser mumbled:
>>>You don't have an external SCSI-case lying around?  I scrapped=
>>>that and an old SCSI-CDROM drive, worked well.
>>yep... trying this right now because booting from the internal=
>>drive in the 400 didn't work either:
>Ok, I opened up the case of one of the model 300s and attached=
 the CD-Rom
>drive internallyt, because I don't have an MMJ adaptor to attach=
 a serial
>terminal to the model 400.
>now booting from the CD gives the following output:
>Boot flags: 0,0 8084388+227040@@@@@@@@@lseek section headers:=
>file offset @@@@@@@@@@open netbsd.gz: Input/output error=
>netbsd.bak: Input/output error @@@@@@@@@@open netbsd.bak.gz:=
>error @@@@@@@@@@open netbsd.old: Input/output error=
>netbsd.old.gz: Input/output error @@@@@@@@@@open onetbsd.gz:=
>error @@@@@@@@@@open onetbsd.gz: Input/output error=
>netbsd.alpha: Input/output error @@@@@@@@@@open=
>Input/output error
>Boot failed! Halting...
>?05 HLT INSTR PC=3D 00000000.20000038 PSL=3D 00000000.00000007
>Does this mean the CD hasn't been written correctly?
>(I've written the cdhdtape disk image to it using cdrecord on=

I'd probably be more inclined to use the iso image at (a little=
 over 80MB)

I used this for 1.5 on my 3000/400 and it worked well. I don't=
 think the
cdhdtape image (2.6MB) has a full install binary set with it.=
 Give that a
go and tell us how you went. You should be able to write this=
 from any
Windoze PC program that supports burning from an iso image.

Collin Baillie