Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 on DEC 3000/300
To: Lieven Dekeyser <>
From: Jochen Kmietsch <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/12/2002 15:42:43

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Lieven Dekeyser wrote:

> > but they do run well once up :)
> how do they compare to x86 machines?

Todays?  I will get the wrath of the list members on my head by saying
this, and even though I have a lot slower boxes, they do not exactly race
The ones back then?  They stomp them.  After all, they were expensive
workstations when they came out.
The SCSI-bus is pretty slow, the NIC is 10 Mbit only, but hey, you just
can't throw away computer history.  And the way they are built, they
should run forever.

The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating system
and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.