Subject: Questions on X server on Dec 3000/300
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Rufeng Li <rnjli@u.washington.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/23/2002 00:47:23
Hi,

I installed 1.6 on a DEC 3000/300 (complete installation) and built a
TCWSCONS custom kernel.  I made minimum changes on configuration file (max
user = 8 and comment out 500 support).  Without using a serial console, I
was able to boot without any problem , but could not bring up X windows.
Here are the problems:

1. When booted up, there were 4 identical error messages "wsconfig:
WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Cannot allocate memory".  What caused this error?
Should I concern about the error?

2. "startx" error as following:
	------
	xinit:
	No such file or directory (error 2): no server "X" in PATH
	------
   I checked /usr/X11R6/bin (it is in PATH) and startx and xinit are in the
directory, but I could not find "X".  I had Xserver.tgz in the installation
directory and chose to install all.  Why X is not there?  What is the
correct way to install Xserver stuff?

Thanks,

Rufeng