Subject: Re: ISOs?
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/21/2002 01:18:49
Hi !

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >> Any idea what the schedule is for NetBSD/alpha ISO images?
> > http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html#alphaimage
> > ;-)
>
>    Yeah, yeah, yeah. ;)  *poke*
>
>    I'm very short of time this week, otherwise I'd have done that
> already.  If the "official" ISOs aren't available soon I'll just go
> ahead and make my own...no big deal..

Hm. I made a bootable i386 CD for a quick vmware test installation today. This
took about 5 minutes. Alpha might also not take that long, especially, if you
have an Alpha with NetBSD running to do the installboot.
Doing the whole multiplatform CD image creation for 1.5.3 took me about half
an hour, and this was the first time i did any bootable CD except for i386.

So, i think downloading the whole
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/alpha/
and
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/shared/
with the following mkisofs and installboot would really be the quickest way for
you to get it running. Waiting for ready-to-go images might take longer :)

But how about the idea to just add a shell script to the whole platforms tree,
which is capable to auto-create a multiplatform boot CD?

Didn't implement it yet, but i could imagine it using "read" to first ask for
the tree the user prepared for the filesystem image, then do some if [ -d
blahblah ] for the several platforms, and use the installboot in
/usr/src/sys/arch/somewhat/stand/installboot or so. Maybe it even builds these
installboot binaries itself. So the user just has 2 prerequisites: Build the
tree (incl. shared stuff), install syssrc.tgz and run the script.

Just some thoughts shooting through my mind now. If i have too much time the
weekend, maybe i start this, as i want to burn the 4 CDs for 1.6 for all
platforms this weekend. Interests for such a thing in the community?

Or does someone even _HAS_ such a script? Hor are the "official" images
created? Manually or already by a script?

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/     Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX