Subject: Re: gcc-3.2
To: NetBSD/Alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Oleg Polyanski <Oleg.Polianski@team.telstraclear.co.nz>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/11/2002 17:58:39
Bryan <u1@terran.org> writes:

> [Regarding problem with gcc-3.2 on NetBSD/Alpha producing
> executables which crash on startup unless statically linked]
>
> >  in, then start the test application under `ktrace' and,
> >  eventually, under `gdb'.
>
> gdb indicates that the process crashes in
> _rtld_relocate_plt_object(), i.e.  the C library.

 It might be also worth looking at the backtrace to see what
 arguments are being passed into that function etc etc.

> > It should not crash at all, as there is no reason for that - I
> > have been compiling my C/C++ programs for NetBSD/i386 with the
> > most recent versions of g/g++ from CVS without any problems.
>
> I am running on Alpha - perhaps my problem is specific to the
> Alpha platform.  Also, I have found two other C library problems
> which appear to be specific to the Alpha: bugs 18113 and 18114.

 Oops, I somehow managed to miss this part of your statement when
 you said you were running a test program on NetBSD/alpha, I
 apologise for misinformation.

> BTW, when you say "most recent versions ... from CVS", you mean
> the gcc CVS tree, not the NetBSD one, right?

 That is right:

Reading specs from /usr/local/gcc/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.6F/3.3/specs
Configured with: ../configure --disable-nls --disable-checking --enable-languages=c,c++,java : (reconfigured)  : (reconfigured)
Thread model: single
gcc version 3.3 20020902 (experimental)

Take care,
Oleg