Subject: Re: DEFZA support (was: Re: DEC hardware question)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/26/2002 14:12:41
On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 01:35:59PM +1000, Collin Baillie wrote:

[FDDI stuff]
> But how much does it all cost?
New? Expensive.
Used? Cheap. I got my DEFPAs (== 3COM 3C796) for 10..25 EUR.
Sun SBus and SGI GIO (Indigo, Indigo2) are around 20..30 EUR. (ePay)
Yesterday a SysKonnect 5544 PCI FDDI card went for 6.5 EUR on ePay.de.
(This card is not supported by NetBSD. But on Solaris, AIX, SCO, Linux.)
Fiber optic cables: Some free from a friend, some from ePay for 3..5 EUR.
Concentrator (only needed for SAS cabling) free from an other friend.
(Nifty thing. 19" mountable, two redundant PSUs, modular construction,
everything is hot plugable, but I miss the management module.)
Two 12 port 10BaseT Ethernet switches with FDDI uplink and SNMP, 70 EUR
at ePay. (For those poor machines that can't get FDDI.)

So it will not cost more than good 100 MBit/s Ethernet equipment.
(Do not compare FDDI cards, concentrators, ... to the usual SoHo
Ethernet crap.)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen