Subject: RE: DEFZA support (was: Re: DEC hardware question)
To: Collin Baillie <Collin.Baillie@world.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/26/2002 02:00:19
On July 26, Collin Baillie wrote:
> >  Fair warning...when you notice that it outperforms most 100Mbit
> >ethernet networks by a significant margin, you'll want to convert your
> >entire network to it.  I did, as did nearly everyone that I hang out
> >with.
>
> But how much does it all cost?

  FDDI interfaces typically cost more than 100Mbit ethernet ones
do...This is one case in which you definitely DO get what you pay for.
On the used market, FDDI concentrators are priced similarly to
ethernet switches...which evens out quite nicely because you get about
the same performance with unswitched FDDI as you do with
fully-switched 100Mbit ethernet, except in those occasions where
FDDI's 4500-byte MTU buys you more.

  In short, it depends on where and how you buy your hardware.  I
haven't spent any more on FDDI gear overall as I would have on
comparable 100Mbit ethernet stuff, but I really wouldn't mind if it
*did* cost more...because it works better.

         -Dave