Subject: Re: DEC hardware question
To: Robert Manna <robert@mail.alum.rpi.edu>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/19/2002 01:25:26
On 2002.07.18 17:28 Robert Manna wrote:

> Can anybody tell me the make and model of a 10/100 NIC that would work
> in an AlphaStation 200(4/166) running NetBSD?  It can be either PCI or

> ISA, I don't care.
NetBSD supports busses in an machine independend way. I.e.: If a device
is supported, than it will work on _every_ machine that has this bus. So
every card that NetBSD supports will work in your alpha. See
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Hardware/isa.html
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html
for a list of supported hardware.
BTW: I am using an old AST 4 port compatible multi serial card in my
AS200.

> I just want to know if I can get a second faster NIC in my machine.
What about a DEFPA? ;-)

The more interresting question is: What FastEthernet cards and SCSI
adaptes are bootable? I EPayed two generic no-name NCR 53c875 based SCSI
adapters. They look very similar, but only one is bootable. I tried two
21140 based FastEthernet cards. One from SMC and one from Cogent.
Neither was showen by "sh dev".
And why can't I boot from my DEFPA? (I have only FDDI in that machine.)
Is SRM really that dumb?
--

tschüß,
         Jochen